Oct 21, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Last weekend we went to Luray, Virginia, just outside of the Shenandoah National Forest, and Skyline Drive for a fun fall weekend getaway. We had visions of crisp, sunny days, pumpkin patches and corn mazes in our heads as we drove through gorgeous mountain towns and horse country on the way there.

The weather did not totally cooperate (it was in the 30's when we got there and only got to about 49 the entire weekend) but we had a great trip. We hiked (in snow one day!), stayed in an adorable cabin, ate yummy homemade breads and pies, and explored the area.

One night it rained pretty heavily, and at about 3am we heard a loud rustling noise that sounded like it was directly under our bed. It lasted for several hours and I was starting to worry about bears coming in to get our food. Turns out it was likely a family of raccoons taking refuge under our cabin. Nature!

I have lots and lots of photos and I'll put them on the photo album site soon. Here are just a few. I hope to make this an annual trip. I love it up there!


This was one of the few breaks in the clouds. Leaves were almost at peak in some places in the park. Gorgeous!
We did a little hiking on the Appalachian Trail. This is the trail marker.

The snow!

We went to a pumpkin patch, corn maze, petting zoo. It was so cold that we only stayed long enough to feed this goat.


Mia was the tour guide at Luray Caverns. A very impressive cave system and we got there when it opened on Sunday morning and had the whole place to ourselves!

Group shot.


Obligatory self portrait at beginning of hike to waterfalls.

Cuties!Our cabin
Unrelated to the trip, but just a cute recent photo


Mia and her pumpkins


No comments: