May 19, 2008

De Colores

One of the many, many things I will miss about living in Spain is the onslaught of wildflowers in the spring. Entire fields, vacant lots and roadsides are filled with gorgeous yellow, purple and pink flowers. My favorite is the wild poppy. I usually have to restrain myself from veering off the road to stop and pick some (I'm not really sure if I'm allowed, and they are always growing across from a grocery store or something).


I will also miss the amazing cultivated flowers that thrive here--the enormous lantana bushes, the ever present geranium, the bouganvillia, hibuscus and night blooming jasmine. I know Norfolk has its famed azaleas and crape myrtles but there is something about the Spanish and their flowers.


I know, I'm becoming a flower geek (I think I get it from my mom!). Don't even get me started on the sunflower fields in southern Spain!








No comments: